It is almost known to all that smoking is bad for people's health. Scientific researchs show that smoking can lead to heart disease,cancer and other problem.The World Health Organization says diseases linked to smoking kill at least two million five-hundred-thousand persons each year.
Still,many people find it difficult to stop smoking.One reason is that smoking usually becomes a habitual behaviour,and habits,whether good or bad are not easy to be given up.Another reason is the effect of nicotine,the substance found in cigarettes works on people somewhat as drugs do.
Measures have been taken to help people keep away from the harm of smoking. In many cities,smoking is forbidden in public places.The danger of smoking is warned of everywhere.And newspapers are asked not to publish advertisements for cigarettes.World "No Tobacco Day" is observed every year as the biggest compaign against smoking.
Little Tommy was doing very badly in math. His parents had tried everything—tutors (家庭教师), cards, special learning centers—in short, everything they could think of. Finally they took Tommy to a catholic (天主教的) school.
After the first day, little Tommy came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn’t kiss his mother hello. Instead, he went straight to his room and started studying. Books and papers were spread (铺开) out all over the room and little Tommy was hard at work. His mother was surprised. She called him down to dinner and as soon as he finished eating, he went back to his room, without a word. In no time he was back hitting the books as hard as before. This went on for some time, day after day while the mother tried to understand what was happening.
Finally, little Tommy brought home his report card. He quietly put it on the table and went up to his room and hit the books. His mom looked at it and to her surprise, little Tommy got an A in math. She could no longer hold her curiosity (好奇心). She went to his room and asked, “Son, what was it? Was it the nuns (修女)?”
Little Tommy looked at her and shook his head, “No. ”
“Well then,” she asked again. “WHAT was it?”
Little Tommy looked at her and said, “Well, on the first day of school, when I saw that man nailed (钉) to the plus sign (加号), I knew they weren’t joking. ”
1. Why did Tommy’s parents send him to a catholic school?
A. Because he could eat well there.
B. Because he could earn more about nuns.
C. Because his parents wanted him to do better in his math.
D. Because his parents didn’t want him to learn math any more.
2. Tommy’s mother felt surprised that his son _______.
A. was still the same as usual
B. ate so much at dinner
C. kissed her hello after school
D. worked hard but said little
3. “Hitting the books” means “_______” in Chinese.
4. The last sentence in the passage shows that _______.
A. Tommy felt sorry for the mail
B. Tommy was afraid of being nailed
C. Tommy didn’t like the plus sign
D. Tommy liked playing jokes on others
5. From the passage, we can infer (推断) that _______.
A. teachers should be strict with their students
B. mistaking (误解) might do good sometimes
C. a catholic school is much better than other ones
D. nuns are good at helping children with their math
2. 选D。认真阅读第2段前面几句话，并注意以下信息：After the first day, little Tommy came home…didn’t kiss his mother hello…was hard at work…without a word. 可知答案应选D。
3. 选A。根据文章大意和Finally, little Tommy brought home his report card. He quietly put it on the table and went up to his room and hit the books这个句子的语境，可知hit the books的意思是“用功”。
4. 选B。Tommy学习一直不用功，但自从进了这所catholic school之后，情况就不一样了——整天都发狠读书，结果数学考试也得了A。这是为什么呢？文章在最后道出了其原因：Well, on the first day of school, when I saw that man nailed (钉) to the plus sign (加号), I knew they weren’t joking. 由此可知，Tommy是担心学习不用功会被钉在十字架上。
5. 选B。Tommy把the man nailed to the plus sign误解为“学习不用功的结果”，从而一改自己原来不好学的不良习惯，很快就把数学成绩赶了上去。可见，误解有时也可以起到好的效果。